2012-01-19

Acts of Terror

So the Rachel Maddow show had some interesting news about the latest activities of Operation Rescue.



I don't even know where to begin with this. This is what's known as respect for life?

And before someone tries to tell me that not all anti-abortion activists are like this... well, first, I'm damn well aware of that, because I know people who are opposed to abortion, and to the best of my ability to tell, they're not homicidal. But the other important part of that is that most of the people I'm thinking of right now are personally opposed to abortion, rather than agitating for its ban as a matter of public policy. And yes, there is a difference.

If you are in favor of a ban on abortion as a matter of public policy, you are by definition in favor of forcing women to submit their own desires to the government's will - in favor of state-sanctioned disrespect for life. There is no getting around that. Shakesville says it far better than I ever could, really, so just go read this. (In fact, I first heard about this story from there, too.)

In short, I don't want to hear about how you of course don't support these kinds of acts of terror. And not just because we both know that one would have to say that if they ever wanted me to talk to them again, but also because this is merely the most extreme example of a disrespect for life that is part and parcel of the movement to ban abortion.

No comments:

Post a Comment