2011-06-03

Introductions

Hi! My name's Shawn, and if you're reading this, that tells me that you've found your way to this little corner of the Internet that I have claimed for myself. Welcome.

This is the third time I've set out to stake a claim here on Blogger, and so the third time I've written an introductory post. (My last two blogs are here and here.) Perhaps I like starting blogs more than I like carrying them on... which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for this one.

Yet, in my defense, both of those prior creations were very specific in their objectives, and the latter had an end date from the beginning. I intend for this blog to have neither of those. This will be my space to have a discussion about whatever crosses my mind, and hopefully will remain so far into the future. And perhaps, if I am very lucky, it will be a space in which others can join in that discussion.

On what, one might ask? Well, who knows. I'm going into my fourth and final year of my undergraduate education, at Brandeis University. I am a History and East Asian Studies major, with a particular fondness for Japanese. A fondness that was first awoken by my interest in manga and anime, with plenty of video and computer games thrown in for good measure. And, because I can, I participate in National Novel Writing Month and write fanfiction on top of that. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all of this once I have to actually support myself with a career, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

What else is there about me...? Politically, I am solidly and most likely unshakably left-wing. I would self-identify as a feminist and progressive (pretty much entirely thanks to this quite excellent blog), although there's still a lot more I think I need to learn about... well, everything, but progressivism in particular. Personally, I would call myself a patriot as well, although I would never even dream of calling anyone else not patriotic enough.

And that's me in two paragraphs. If any of that might interest you, feel free to stick around, read a few posts, what have you.

If the urge strikes, you're more than welcome to join in the discussion. The only thing I would ask is that if you do, you endeavor to keep your comments civil and respectful. I would like for this to be a safe and respectful space, as I feel there are not nearly enough of those, and so I will be going to the effort to warn others of any non-work-safe or potentially triggering material. I would ask everyone else that wishes to add their voice to this space to do the same.

With all that out of the way... welcome to my little corner of the skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment